The Role of Content Quality in Bing Ranking
On behalf of the Bing Content Quality Team, Michael Basilyan, Senior Program Manager, wrote an interesting Blog entitled “The Role of Content Quality in Bing Ranking”.
According to the article ‘Content Quality’ is a Primary Factor in Ranking
Ranking = f(Topical Relevance, Context, Content Quality)
In Bing, the relevance of a result is a function of:
- Topical relevance to the query (“Does it address the query?”)
- Context (“is the query about a recent topic”), and
- Content Quality (as measured by the three pillars described below)
The Three Pillars of Content Quality
- Authority: can we trust this content?
- Utility: is the content useful and sufficiently detailed?
- Presentation: is the content well-presented and easy to find?
When Bing evaluates the page with regard toauthority, they try to answer the question, “Can we trust this content, its author, or the website? If you are the author of the Blog, ensure that your name is shown rather than the word “admin”.
When considering the utility of the page, Bing models try to predict whether the content is sufficiently useful for the topic it is trying to address. Does the page provide ample supporting information, etc…
A well-presented page will have an easy-to-read, accessible design, and will make its primary content easy to find.
I enjoyed reading this blog, learning the importance of the various pillars of content quality, particularly authorship.
A valuable plugin for WordPress Bloggers is WordPress SEO, an all-in-one SEO solution for WordPress by Yoast.